As a teenager with a busy schedule, you probably do not have time for exercise. The result: a flabby, fat belly that looks unattractive and also tends to age you. However, flat stomach does not come through exercise alone. There are various underlying reasons including hormonal imbalances, digestive problems, stress etc that could cause the flab.
So here are 7 possible reasons why you are unable to see flatter and fitter abs despite exercise:
- Hormones- These pesky little chemicals actually do us a lot of harm (than just causing acne and hair problems alone). Certain hormones are responsible for depression anxiety, mood changes etc all of which make us binge and turn to food for comfort. So if you find yourself constantly reaching for the bag of chips, the reason could be your hormones. Talk to your doctor if you feel this is the reason behind your weight gain.
- Sleep issues- As teenagers, we all have pressures related to school, project deadlines etc. These can wreak havoc on our sleep. Inadequate sleep makes us feel anxious and, in turn, makes us to turn to food. So, do try and get at least 7-8 hours of sleep in order to get flat abs.
- Excess sodium- Naturally, apart from internal issues, a poor diet is also responsible for the ‘bulging effect’. You might think that quitting salt is necessary only for senior hypertensive adults. However, even teens consuming excess sodium through salty chips or burgers are likelier to suffer various health disorders. Excess Sodium in blood actually leads to constriction of blood vessels. This, in turn, restricts the blood flow as a result of which the heart has to pump harder to supply blood to different organs. This not only increases the blood pressure, it leads to palpitations, dehydration, chest pain etc. Another effect of excess sodium is retention of water that causes puffy eyes and bloated tummies.
- Not exercising right- Many youngsters believe that sweating for an hour or 2 in the gym is adequate to get the 6 pack. However, all your efforts will be nullified if you are not doing the right exercises.
- Inadequate hydration- It is a well known fact that most teenagers (especially those in the United States) drink very little water, always choosing sodas or caffeinated energy drinks to ease their thirst. This is a well known reason for a flabby gut. While adults are required to drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water daily (and this number increases as one ages), teenagers should at least aim for 6-8 glasses.
- Not eating the right food groups- Another common reason why getting flatter abs is difficult for some teens is the lack of protein in diet. If your focus is merely on foods containing Trans fats or sugary items, you are not going to see results despite spending hours in the gym.
- Other health conditions- Though rarer in teens than in adults, other health conditions like diabetes, high cholesterol and excess triglycerides can also be attributed to the inability to lose weight. Hence, annual physical checkups are important to rule out these issues. It is a shocking fact that more and more teenagers are being diagnosed with these lifestyle diseases, especially in developed countries. Hence one must not assume that age is always on one’s side.
Flat abs and toned bodies can not only make us look good and increase our self esteem, they also indicate better health in adulthood and fewer injuries in sports. Flatter abs also indicate longer life span, since a Canadian Research has proven that people with weaker abs are actually more prone to doubled death rates than those with stronger and toned stomachs.
For more information on how to get toned in shorter time, click here.